Security & Defence Policy
Understanding the evolution of the security and defence environment is crucial for Belgian Defence. It feeds the reflection governing the preparation of future policies in the field of security and defence and the strategic reflection of Belgian Defence in particular. It is the starting point for the reflection on plans and policies, it helps defining the risks for Belgium and its armed forces and permits to draft a path to sound capability development.
The focus areas “Security & Defence Policy” is dedicated to the study of security and defence issues from a historical, geopolitical, strategic and tactical perspective. The aim of the research conducted in this field is to build up knowledge and improve the comprehension of the political, military, institutional, technological, socio-economic and ideological trends that had or are likely to have an impact on the rise, development, management and consequences of crises and conflicts in the world.
The research activities focus on geopolitics, international relations and military history, and covers the following areas:
- Belgium’s security and defence policy, as well as strategic and institutional developments within international organisations including the EU, NATO and the UN.
- The security environment evolution and the conceptual developments in the use of defence capabilities to face up to identified threats, including conflicts and operations, terrorism and radicalisation, threats and hybrid strategies, cyber security and cyber strategy, as well as strategic communication.
- The processes of technological innovation in the field of defence and the integration of technologies in defence capabilities, including the development of weapon systems, robotics, artificial intelligence, the military use of space technology and critical infrastructure protection.
- Proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, arms control and disarmament.
- Power politics and power instruments, including foreign and security policies, military assistance and peace building.
- Security and defence issues related to specific regions, including Europe and its Eastern neighbourhood, Asia, Middle East and North Africa, Sahel and Sub-Saharan Africa, and the Americas.